Thursday, December 07, 2006

How to Bike to Work
Off to work Bicycling to work is one of the best choices you can make for your health and the environment. After an initial investment of purchasing a bicycle, biking is a very inexpensive mode of transportation. You'll save money on gas and car maintenance, you'll get in great shape, and your coworkers will think you're awesome. Join the growing ranks of bike-to-workers!

Steps
Acquire a bike, bike lock, and bike helmet. There are many varieties of each. Do not buy a cheap bike at a discount store; instead, find a local bicycle shop. There, knowledgeable people can help you decide what to buy. Later on you will be able to go there for help and bike tune-ups. You may also wish to buy extra tire tubes or flat-fixing tools.
Learn the local bicycling laws of your area. This is essential to remain safe and within the law. Register your bike if required.
Your local bike shop will probably have bicycle route maps. Get one and map out your route to work. If there are no bike route maps, get on your bike on a non-work day and scout out the area.
Look for streets with bicycle lanes.
Avoid streets with excessive potholes or junk in the road.
Determine where you can lock your bike while you are at work.
You will need something in which to carry your work items. There are many types of bicycle luggage carriers, or you can use a backpack or messenger bag.
Some people like to bike in work-out clothes and then change into their day clothes. Other people just bike in their day clothes. It's up to you.
Don't just assume that the route you drive to work is the best route for biking. Often the best bike route includes back streets and side roads which may make your trip slightly longer but much safer and more enjoyable.
Do a test-run of your bike route. Try some alternate routes, if possible. Make a note of how long each rout takes you.
Bike to work!

3 comments:

Scott said...

I miss riding my bike to work! I rode my bike to work for about six years, while I was in collage and Pamela drove my car (her commute was much longer).

Some of the info in this article leads me to believe it was written by a suburbanite.

Sickboy said...

Yeah, I kinda, somewhat got the same vibe from it....Wow, thats quite a length of time to be riding your bike to work....

dad-e~O said...

I wish I could bike to work. Shit I wish biking was my work. i do at least bike to the train station, and I am going to bring a bike downtown to use from the station to work.