Friday, March 09, 2007

The minister and Obama.

March 8, 2007 — At age 73, Minister Louis Farrakhan is watching one of the 2008 presidential candidates in particular with a keen eye: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.
"I like him very much. I like him, he has a fresh approach," the Nation of Islam's leader said. "And I'm fearful, because there's a structure in our government that no matter who sits in the seat of power, there are forces that one has to contend with if one is able to attract the masses of their votes. Barack Obama is doing quite well."
Farrakhan said that if Obama was avoiding controversial black leaders like himself, Rev. Al Sharpton, and Rev. Jesse Jackson for fear of alienating white voters it would be an acceptable price to pay for an Obama victory.
"If avoiding me would help him to become president, I'd be glad to stay in the background, because of the taint that's on the minister," he said.
But, he added, "I haven't made myself available to him … [and] he hasn't made himself available to me."

---I thought it was interesting to hear Farrakhan say that its OK to avoid certain black "leaders" in order to try to keep the white liberal vote. I didnt think he would say something like that. Do you think this forces Obama to sell himself short within his own community?---

---Update.

I just found this on CNN.com. This will give some of us alittle light onto how The Minister has changed his views and ways.---

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- When I sat down with Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, I was surprised by what I found: a softer, more conciliatory Farrakhan -- a man who says his battle with cancer has changed him in ways he'd never imagined.
He says he now wants to work together with all people and all religions to bring about peace in the world.
When I asked him what happened to the old Louis Farrakhan, he responded, "I was a warrior then, defending myself against people who called me a black Hitler. Now is a different climate. I've evolved."
It was quite the revelation for a man whose fiery rhetoric often stirred anger. He has been accused of anti-Semitism for his comments about Jews over the years, such as referring to "wicked Jews" in one speech.

No comments: