Saturday, June 03, 2006

By TRAVIS REED

ORLANDO, Fla. Jun 3, 2006 (AP)— At just 1 year old, Theo had already turned to a life of crime. The tiny Yorkie would sneak into restaurants inside his owner's bag, usually undetected, but he and Marcy Richardson were occasionally kicked out. Now the 26-year-old Richardson and Theo can stop worrying and start chowing down.

Gov. Jeb Bush on Friday signed the so-called "doggie dining" bill, which allows local governments to let restaurants permit dogs to eat with their owners outside.

Florida health regulations previously prevented all dogs except service animals from joining patrons al fresco, although several restaurants ignored the rules until local regulators started cracking down last year.

Rep. Sheri McInvale, an Orlando Republican, filed the bill after some complained they were threatened with fines.

The measure creates a three-year pilot program, and the state will determine whether to continue it. Allowing dogs to dine will be up to each county, and even if it's allowed, restaurant owners will still decide individually whether to participate.

When I first skimmed over this story I thought this would be something that was more fitting for say, California as opposed to Florida. PJ, can you chime in on this one? I guess I wouldnt see the harm done in letting the family dog eat with you on an outside patio and the local restaurnant. I guess the "doggy bag" will be brought back into light now.

2 comments:

dad-e~O said...

it's all about the Patio.
Sitting on an open patio, chillin with the dog, fun and harmelss, dogs are actually less offensive then most kids.
True Story: Today I had a group of 10, six of whom were under 10 (all girls), a couple of the little darlings decided they like the way the teaspoon sounded when clanging against the water glass. I got to the point where I actually had to go to the table and tell the little bitches that glass WILL chip and break when repeatedly struck with metal. For your own safty you should stop, NOW!

Scott said...

It was a real eye opener to me when Colin was born that there are just as may people out there who hate children as there are who hate dogs. My dogs work hard to be courteous and respectful (under my tyranny) when out in public and for that I wish they would get a little respect once in a while. Although taking them to a restaurant is not on my radar, as they both know a room full of suckers when they see one.