Monday, February 12, 2007

NIN.

Nine Inch Nail Trent Reznor has unveiled the tracklist and revealed further details about his forthcoming Nails' Disc, Year Zero, out April 17th. Reznor recently discussed the details regarding Zero in an interview with UK mag Kerrang!.

"[The album is] not heavy in any kind of metal type sense, I'd say a big inspiration sonically would be early Public Enemy records, a collage of sound type of thing, not heavy in a metal guitar kind of way." "With this record I feel a lot less concerned about what people think about it — especially the dying record industry. I couldn't care less about that right now.
The frontman also confirmed that, as per usual, the record was mostly recorded by himself and that Zero is a concept album of sorts.

"It's all me, mostly recorded in hotel rooms around the world on laptops. There maybe some surprise vocalists that pop up here and there - although I don't want to say who since the final mix hasn't been determined yet, and Josh Freese is playing the drums on one song, but it's not like a big guest star-type record. It feels a bit more focused in a certain direction than 'With Teeth' did. I'm trying to avoid getting too detailed about this but I will tell you that this is a concept record, and it's part of a bigger picture of a number of things I'm working on. Essentially I wrote the soundtrack to a movie that doesn't exist"

Ah, the ol' concept record. Isn't every other NIN release a concept record? My Guess on concept? It's likely political in nature with a title like Year Zero, and song titles like "The Good Soldier", "Another Version of the Truth" and "The Great Destroyer." -ED.Reznor & Co. filmed the video for the likely first single, "Survivalism", in Los Angeles last week and, as previously reported, Nine Inch Nails will release a live DVD, Beside You In Time, on February 27th.

---Has anyone followed this guy within the past 10 years or so? I pretty much gave up on him after The Downward Spiral.---

7 comments:

Martin said...

Yeah, I think downward spiral was the last NIN album I bought. I think Pete mentioned that one of his more recent albums was actually pretty good.

Scott said...

Hey I just remembered that I downloaded their latest album on Pete's recommendation. I forgot I had it, I must have been drinking when I did it. I must go listen to it! I think it is the only NIN I own as of late.

Sickboy said...

I just noticed in the article that he said this new album is a "concept album" which means it will suck.

dad-e~O said...

he did a live album a few years ago, it was the one I recomended. it pretty much rocked the highlights of his recent albums wich all had a gem or 2, and had a few classics from PHM.

dad-e~O said...

I won't buy this album, but If I see it at the libereary I'll pick it up.

Scott said...

Hmmm, well ok I just took some time to listen to my drunken down load. I am most likely to delete much of it. So much of it sounds like the same old NIN we have come to be apathetic with over the years since "Pretty Hate Machine". However I have found at least five songs with as much listnability as some of the better parts of the "Downward Spiral" album. Final tally of thirteen songs Five immediately deleted from my data base. Three made it into the fourth tier (personal rating) and on to my Ipod as part of my most listnable.

dad-e~O said...

tough judge...