Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Question of the night; what would you do?

NYC Cabbie, Tipped 30 Cents, Returns Bag With 31 Diamond Rings Found in His Cab

By VERENA DOBNIK
NEW YORK Feb 7, 2007 (AP)— Never mind diamonds- a New York cabbie was a Texas girl's best friend. The driver returned 31 diamond rings he found in his cab after dropping off the passenger, who had left him with a 30-cent tip on a $10.70 fare.
"All my life, I tried to be honest," said Osman Chowdhury, a native of Bangladesh. "Today is no different."
But the 41-year-old cabbie from Queens did have a message: "I'm proud of what I did so that people know New York taxi drivers are honest."

---Now my obvious question to you is, would you have done what this taxi driver did and return the lost diamonds? Or for that matter, if you were walking down the street and found a wallet with a hundred bucks in it with ID, would you call the person to return it? This is when you have to questions ones morals I guess. Whats more important, the principle or the green? I honestly would think long and hard about it, Im not gonna lie.

My next question is to hopefully make things more fun. Lets say you decided to keep the diamonds, how would you go about getting rid of them to make money? Be as creative but as realistic as you can with this part, its more a challenge than anything.---

2 comments:

dad-e~O said...

No, I wouldn't return them. I would bring them to the company lost and found where they almost assuredly have an unclaimed stuff policy.
If I find a wallet (depending on the ID, if it's some 80 year old lady vs a 25 year old kid. and where I find it in the city or on the street in front of my house), I pull out the cash, and put the wallet in a mailbox or call the original owner(I've done both)
fencing jewlery, i'l get back to you.

Sickboy said...

thanks for your honesty.

Yeah the fencing jewelry thing is a hard one.